Re: NetBSD iSCSI target on ZVOL used as block device for Qemu - iSCSI: NOP timeout

Hello Michael,

Am 19.09.2022 um 10:52 schrieb Michael van Elst:
mp%petermann-it.de@localhost (Matthias Petermann) writes:

There is a userland implementation (iscsi-target / iscsi-initiator)
that is basically the reference (or maybe example) code plus some
integration as userland filesystem.

The code lacks features and isn't compatible with other iscsi
implementations. It's stable but there is no development.

Then there is a the kernel iscsi initiator (iscsctl / iscsid).
It's more compatible, much faster, but probably still a little buggy.
Most bugs and fixes in the last years came from me.

I use the kernel iscsi initiator together with istgt or the Linux
iSCSI target.
[...]

thanks for the clarification and the classification of the supposed advantages of an implementation in kernel space.

Your combination - kernel iscsi initiator and userspace istgt target sounds like a good roadmap :-) Fortunately, since both are available and working in one way or another, there is no rush. In perspective, of course, it would be nice to have the best possible implementation in the base system (or at least to remove the target implementation from the base system altogether - this would eliminate it as a source of errors for new users like me).

Kind regards
Matthias