Re: About compat_linux

riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost (Riza Dindir) writes:

>already an entry for the procfs as such
>procfs    /proc   procfs   rw
>But in the manual page for compat_linux it says that I need to do this
>procfs   /emul/linux/procfs   procfs   ro,linux
>It does make it readonly I believe and also changes the path to the
>/proc directory. Would that be a problem?

You would need to mount it twice. Then emulated programs will use
/emul/linux/procfs and non-emulated programs will use /procfs.

However, since some time the 'linux' mount option is the default,
so on newer NetBSD this isn't necessary at all.

>Another question would be this. When I get information on the
>suse_base package (pkg_info suse_base) It says that I should change
>the tmpfs entry in the /etc/fstab from
>tmpfs   /var/sh   tmpfs   rw,-m1777,-sram%25
>to this
>tmpfs   /emul/linux//var/sh   tmpfs   rw,-m1777
>Would I need to change this, and would it cause any problems?

That's /var/shm, not /var/sh. Previously NetBSD wouldn't use /var/shm
for itself, so you needed to create something for emulated programs.
But with recent NetBSD it should just work with /var/shm for emulated
programs too and you don't need the /emul/linux/var/shm mount.

>Would it be better to leave the fstab intact, not changing it and
>running linux applications?

In any case, it is necessary to not replace the native entries.
You may add the /emul/linux entries, but it is not necessary
nowadays.

procfs went linux-compatible with netbsd-6.
/var/shm is used since netbsd-7.