Re: Install on Pi3

Sorry for top posting. If the instructions for the Pi4 are any guide you need to get the EFI bootloader for the Pi3 (if such a thing exists). The Generic ARM64 image expects that the boot code will execute /EFI/boot/<something>.EFI. That file finds the NetBSD partition and loads the kernel from there.

The standard RPi bootcode looks for kernel.img (or kernel7.img) which is the operating system kernel (there are a few files in between, but I'm not sure which is which). NetBSD can take a kernel and convert it to .img format. That should be your backup plan, although you'd need a NetBSD machine to do this. It doesn't have to be an aarch64 machine, though.

The color mesh is usually a sign that the Pi couldn't boot. There should also be a green led that blinks 4 times to let you know that a boot failed (might only be for Pi4).

But the easiest way to run NetBSD on an RPi is to download a pre-built image. Check the port-arm list archives for posts by Jun Ebihara. I'm not sure if his Pi3 image in 32 or 64 bit, though.

HTH,

Jason M.

Get BlueMail for Android