state of EFI support live/install images

tl;dr: Dell XPS 13-9350, 2015 vintage, M.2/EFI/secure-boot vibe
  details: I newly have a free-to-good-home Dell laptop that is very EFI
  and secure boot oriented.  (It failed to power on at all, and then had
  a RAM failure flashcode which was resolved by backing out the SSD
  mounting screw.  That's right -- tightening the mounting screw as one
  would normally do provokes a RAM test failure at poweron.)  It has an
  internal ssd, that I'm trying to rescue files off of, for the previous
  person who had it break on them.  I'm trying to get NetBSD on it.

I am doing everything with current/amd64.

My impression is that there is EFI boot support, both in terms of the
EFI boot programs being built, and the installer being able to create an
EFI partition.

I ran the live-image and install-image targets.  I wrote the live image
to a NVMe ssd via a USB3 adaptor, hoping to boot the laptop off USB.
But it seems to be MBR not GPT, and to not have an EFI partition.

questions:

1) I'll try configuring legacy boot, but I am wondering if there is a
way to build a live image.

2) It seems obvious that one has to disable secure boot in the bios to
boot netbsd.  Correct?  Anyhing else I should know?

3) any other hints?