Re: backspace in wscons console sends ^H to processes

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 06:03:55 -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:

> >But anyway. The big point is that teletypes actually just had a key
> >labelled "rubout". That key did send a DEL character, though.
>
> N.B. I haven't actually seen a key labelled "rubout". But the editor manual
> mentioned it a lot (together with "altmode" for what is nowadays known
> as Escape).

On soviet terminals the <escape> was called/labeled <AP2> for
"alternative" or "auto register 2" (where "register" is used in the
same sense as in music, i.e. a range of characters, i.e. "altmode 2")
and that name still sometimes makes it to modern keyboards with
russian keycaps (and is completely opaque to anyone who didn't see
keyboards from before the 1990s).

http://www.leningrad.su/museum/show_big.php?n=1539

"altmode 1" was <DLE> (0x10, "data link escape", whose usage was
defined by ISO 1745).

-uwe