Re: backspace in wscons console sends ^H to processes

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021, Greg Troxel wrote:

"Paul W. Rankin" <pwr%bydasein.com@localhost> writes:

Out of mere curiosity, how might I retain all this behaviour and also
have C-h erase in `cat`, if that is possible?

I don't see that as possible, and I have no idea why you would want
that.  Once you have the key that is logically the delete key sending
DEL as original ASCII intended, you just use that for delete, don't use
any BS key, and type C-H in emacs for help.  What are you trying to
accomplish with this?   Or are you asking "is there some way to have
multiple characters function as erase in the tty"?

FreeBSD does this. It has `erase' and `erase2' which are set to `^?' and
`^H' in the vt(4) console:

```
$ stty -a
speed 9600 baud; 34 rows; 113 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl tab0 -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf rtsdtr
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
        lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
        status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
```

-RVP