Re: procfs difference between NetBSD and Linux

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 06:27, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 12:47:09AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> > ps: But I'm not sure this is a POSIX problem, POSIX has no procfs,
> > and so anything that uses one is outside the bounds of what POSIX
> > specifies, and into the great vastness of beyond all knowledge -
> > ie: for POSIX, anything on a procfs is an unspecified operation.
>
> And any software requiring a procfs mount to work correctly is not portable
> (for some sense of portable).
>
> We should document this requirement in the samba pkg, but I guess MESSAGE
> is not a good place for that. Maybe make the rc scripts check for it?

The plot thickens a bit - according to the original post and the test
program supplied, one should have the same problem with FreeBSD (13 at
least) and OpenBSD. I haven't gone yet through the test on OpenBSD
(the Samba version supplied by its ports system is 4.9 still), but I
bootstrapped pkgsrc on a clean FreeBSD 13.0 system and built, among
the other stuff, Samba 4.14.4 (4.13.x is available using the new pkg
system). It works as expected, so it would appear the problem is
NetBSD-specific.

> Martin

I guess it is interesting enough to bootstrap pkgsrc on OpenBSD and
test it there as well.

Chavdar

--
----