Re: back to "Drive ID Changed"

On Mon, 31 May 2021, Todd Gruhn wrote:

It says that drives are numbered in the order they are found. I have noticed
this on my USB memory sticks. Since everything is on the same physical
hard-drive, and I recabled it, then this should not matter, right?

If you use GPT labels, then you can just use those labels no matter the
order of the partitions, or the physical drive they're on.

Will I need to reinstall NetBSD from scratch?

Not necessarily. You can:

a) boot off a USB drive

b) backup data from your existing partitions (wd0 -> wd1, let's say)

c) create & format GPT partitions on wd0 to match the old disklabel
   scheme

d) restore backup (wd1 -> wd0)

e) adjust paths on the restored partitions. (/etc/fstab and /boot.cfg
   for sure.)

-RVP