Re: back to "Drive ID Changed"

from Todd Gruhn:

> I know nothing about GPT. How do I know I can do this?

> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 6:40 PM RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:

> > On Sun, 30 May 2021, Todd Gruhn wrote:

> > > I got back to this. I still cant get it
> > > Here is the link to a message from David Brownlee:

> > > https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2020/09/28/msg025785.html

> > > It totally slipped my mind. I have since updated to NetBSD-9.2.
> > > I still cant get anything to work here...

> > If you have GPT, then you can just use the GPT labels:

> > $ fgrep NAME /etc/fstab
> > NAME=NetBSD_9.2         /               ffs     rw,noatime      1 1
> > NAME=NetBSD_swap        none            swap    sw,dp
> $

> -RVP

Rod Smith was perhaps my first reference on GPT: http://rodsbooks.com

Rod Smith explains GPT, wrote a program, gdisk (gptfdisk).

NetBSD uses gpt in the base system as does DragonFlyBSD; FreeBSD has their own gpart which partitions for both GPT and MBR.

GPT labels provide a dependable, consistent way to identify disk partitions, more dependable than /dev/sd*, /dev/wd*, /dev/dk* which can vary from one boot or USB stick insertion to the next.

With GPT, there is no distinction between primary and logical partitions as with MBR, and no need for traditional BSD disklabels, which I am glad to be rid of.

GPT default allows 128 partitions on a disk, which is usually more than enough.

Tom