Re: Installing NetBSD 9.1 on USB stick, not booting

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 07:48:31AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> The installer is supposed to run on the target machine and it tries to
> avoid many questions by checking the machine instead of asking
> the user.
>
> Also the results may differ significantly and the "generic" solution
> could be wastefull, so optimizing for the real machine makes sense
> to me.

It's not an uncommon view. For example Linux has initramfs etc which
'ties' it to the machine. Windows is just too much tied to the specific
hardware that it doesn't tolerate even a slight change.

I think NetBSD, to a larger extent than others, used to be agnostic to a
specific hardware it is installed on, which IMHO was a great feature.

(It's not a this vs that argument, it's more about the extent. Lesser you
infer from the target machine the better, I think.)

Opinions on this may vary.

--
Mayuresh