9.1 upgrade fails: Shared object"libc.so.12" not found

The message shown is what appeared as I finished what appeared to be an uneventful upgrade from an old 'current' netbsd (May of last year) to amd64 9.1.

That message, about a missing libc.so.12, was interspersed on the upgrade screen reporting almost complete success in checking /etc. There was mention of one failed test: gid. (I did not investigate it.)

After the line:
kern.module.path=/stand/amd64/9.1/modules

trouble appeared:
panic init died (signal 0, exit 1)
cpu0 begin traceback...
vpanic() at netbsd:vpanic+0x160

...and so on.

I looked in the NetBSD wiki for a gdb-for-Dummies. I don't even know how to gather more evidence from the screen showing the crash, but I could transcribe more lines and append them to the few I show above if it would be useful.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I have only used gdb under fairly close supervision, which I am, of course, willing to do again!

Thank you.

--
RSB