Re: Running VLC

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 06:31:32PM -0500, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> All I know that VLC cant talk to the DVD/CD drive.
>
> I have been using commercially produced DVDs
>
> I have DVD-RW -- can something be done with that?
>
> I installed 2 other mediaplayers -- they complain about the same thing.

So, this is not about the program used, but probably about the
permissions on the device node in the file system.

ls -l /dev/cd0d should show
henrietta$ ls -l /dev/cd0d
brw-r-----  1 root  operator  6, 3 Jan 13  2012 /dev/cd0d

Another test would be

	dd if=/dev/rcd0d bs=2048 count=1 | hexdump -C

(assuming this is your only CD-like device). You can check
by reading through /var/run/dmesg.boot

You should either see a dump of the first block on the medium,
possibly all zeros, or an error messages about access permissions.

Did you run your media players as an unpriviledged user?
Does running the above dd program as root help?

If yes, add yourself to the group "operator" in /etc/group,
re-login, and all should be fine.

Possibly chmod g+w /dev/cd0* if you need write permission to
that drive, too.

Regards,
	-is