Re: IPfilter and Nintendo Switch

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:17:06 +0100
manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus) wrote:

> Hello
>
> For multiplayer games, the Nintendo Switch requires some behavior from
> the NAT, which is assessed by a mark from A to F in the Switch network
> test.
>
> Anyone had some success configuring an IPfilter NAT to get a grade
> better than D? Or perhaps with another of our many firewalls?

I managed to get a 'B' out of pf: disable scrub. Anything that changes
packet ordering, window sizes, fragmentation etc will drop your letter
grade.

Also configure your DHCP implementation to force the Nintendo to always
get the same internal IP. I have no idea why but that took the score
from C to B.

I remember needing other magic but can't remember details, nothing else
is obvious from my final configuration. There are no special NAT or
redirect rules.

I would also like to take a moment to complain about the name of this
device. Searching for "network configuration" and "Switch" ... it's
simply not helpful. Nintendo's marketing department made life harder
for us.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>