Re: Network very very slow... was iSCSI and jumbo frames

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021, BERTRAND Joël wrote:

   c) Does squid do anything there?

	Squid is used for proxy as my DSL connection is very poor.

Does it store its cache on /opt?

2. Please run these commands as root and post output:
   fstat -f /opt/some_existing_file

legendre# fstat -f Full-0024
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT       INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
root     fstat      22591   wd  /opt      114683904 drwxrwxr-x    6144 r
root     sh         28130   wd  /opt      114683904 drwxrwxr-x    6144 r
legendre#

   pstat -v
legendre# pstat -v
*** MOUNT ffs /dev/dk5 on /opt (log,local)
ADDR             TYP VFLAG  USE HOLD TAG NPAGE FILEID IFLAG RDEV|SZ
ffffd45932b63428 dir     R    1    1   1     0      2     -     512
ffffd4577b884580 dir          3    1   1     0 114683904  -    6144
ffffd45873469818 dir          1    0   1     0 697238784  -     512
ffffd457232f36d0 reg          1    0   1     0 114683928  - 53687079457
legendre#

Can you enable `noatime' and disable `log' when mounting /opt and
then run a dd read test on any 5GB+ file there (make sure the dd
cmd.  has `iflag=direct oflag=direct'). While the test is running,
do:

   fstat -f /opt
   pstat -v | sed -n '/^\*\*\* MOUNT .*dk5/,/^\*\*\* MOUNT /p'

I want to see what other processes show an undue interest in
files being read/written in /opt. For the `pstat -v' command,
keep an eye on those with a USE count >1. One of them will be
the file being read/written.

3. These config. files (redact any sensitive data if needed).
   euclide:
   /etc/config/iscsi/sbin/iscsid.c

	I suppose you want iscsi_trgt.conf

It's the filename from the `ps -aux' output on euclide--the filename
might have been truncated, but you should be able to locate it
easily.

	Please note than even with dd (and with bacula stopped, througput
doesn't exceed 10 MB/s between NetBSD initiator anq qNAP target).
legendre# cat bacula-dir.conf

If bacula is stopped can you do the i3perf test between euclide
and legendre with the server port on euclide set to the iscsi-target
port? I want to make sure that the iscsi data isn't getting diverted
and filtered at some end, slowing down the throughput.

legendre# cat bacula-sd.conf
Storage {                             # definition of myself
 Name = legendre.systella.fr-sd
 SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
 WorkingDirectory = "/var/spool/bacula"
 Pid Directory = "/var/run"
 Plugin Directory = "/usr/pkg/lib"
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}

Device {
 Name = FileStorage1
 Media Type = File
 Archive Device = /opt/bacula
 LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
 Random Access = Yes;
 AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
 RemovableMedia = no;
 AlwaysOpen = no;
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

As far as I can tell from your configs., bacula isn't unnecessarily
accessing files in /opt. Just the standard stuff here.

	I can open for you ssh access on legendre if you want.

Even if you do, I'll just be poking around to get a feel for your
setup as I don't have any clear idea of what to test yet :-(. The
only thing I can think of now is doing a tcpdump while a dd test
is going on.

Let me think over this for a day or two. I'll look over the emails
of the past week and post up a summary of this problem and the things
we've tried. Let's see if other folks have any better ideas.

-RVP