Controlling access to devices in NetBSD

I think this is a quick question for a human to answer but I've been
having a heck of a time trying to Google it. I'm just curious how
NetBSD controls access to device nodes. I'm just trying to use a USB
UART device to connect to a microcontroller dev board. In Slackware, I
would add my user to the "dialout" group which gets read/write access
to this class of devices. I think the /dev files are fundamentally
different in Slackware though and are dynamically created based on
what devices are present every time you boot the system, so if you
wanted to change the actual permissions on /dev nodes you'd need to
modify the config of the systems generating them (e.g. udev rules).

In NetBSD, my understanding is that a bunch of /dev nodes covering
what you're likely to need are created ahead of time on your
filesystem. If you need a device node beyond this, you create it with
mknod and it persists on your filesystem. Therefore, I think the way
I'm supposed to allow a normal user to access /dev/ttyU0 is to simply
'chmod 660' it as it already has the group wheel (which my user
account is a member of), but its current permissions are 600. This
change should persist because the node is essentially a file on the
filesystem instead of being generated every boot.

Just wanted to make sure this is actually the convention in NetBSD and
I'm not setting myself up for headaches later on :). My question is
simply is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

James