ispell-british (for 9.0/amd64) has broken hash files

I've been trying to use the ispell-british dictionaries but I've been
having problems (note that the default "english" dictionary works A-OK).

I see similar reports for other dictionaries for various linux packages,
but I don't see any related to NetBSD or pkgsrc.

I have a rather radical set of changes to the way the ispell
dictionaries are built and installed, and when I use my updated
makefiles then the resulting dictionary works A-OK

I'm wondering if anyone can reproduce this with the standard packages,
and if so then perhaps my fixes would make for a good send-pr.

$ DICTIONARY=british ispell quotes
Illegal format hash table /usr/pkg/lib/british.hash - expected magic2 0x9602, got 0x0
$ ls -l /usr/pkg/lib/british*
-rw-r--r--  2 root  wheel  3458112 Jul 18  2020 /usr/pkg/lib/british.hash
-rw-r--r--  2 root  wheel  3458112 Jul 18  2020 /usr/pkg/lib/britishxlg.hash
$ file /usr/pkg/lib/*.hash
/usr/pkg/lib/american.hash:     symbolic link to americanmed+.hash
/usr/pkg/lib/americanmed+.hash: little endian ispell 3.1 hash file, 7-bit, capitalization, 52 flags and 512 string characters
/usr/pkg/lib/british.hash:      little endian ispell 3.1 hash file, 7-bit, capitalization, 52 flags and 512 string characters
/usr/pkg/lib/britishxlg.hash:   little endian ispell 3.1 hash file, 7-bit, capitalization, 52 flags and 512 string characters
/usr/pkg/lib/english.hash:      symbolic link to americanmed+.hash
$ uname -a
NetBSD xentastic 9.99.64 NetBSD 9.99.64 (GENERIC) #11: Sat Jul  4 16:12:53 PDT 2020  woods@xentastic:/build/woods/xentastic/current-amd64-amd64-obj/build/src-current/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64
$ mktable /usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf
http://cdn.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/9.0/All
$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info ispell
Information for ispell-3.4.00:

Comment:
Interactive spelling checker

Required by:
ispell-british-3.4.00

Ispell is a fast screen-oriented spelling checker that shows you your
errors in the context of the original file, and suggests possible
corrections when it can figure them out.  Compared to UNIX spell, it
is faster and much easier to use.  Ispell can also handle languages
other than English.

Homepage:
http://ficus-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html

$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info ispell-british
Information for ispell-british-3.4.00:

Comment:
British dictionary for interactive spelling checker

Requires:
ispell>=3.3.02

This package provides the British-spelling dictionaries for ispell.

Homepage:
http://ficus-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html

(BTW, the server for that homepage doesn't seem reachable any more.)

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>