Re: Mailing-list misconfiguration?

On Nov 9, 16:00, Robert Elz wrote:
}
}     Date:        Sun, 8 Nov 2020 15:29:12 +0100
}     From:        Vincent DEFERT <20.100%defert.com@localhost>
}     Message-ID:  <87da820b-b757-aead-46c7-d7b6dd55b9f6%defert.com@localhost>
}
}   | My understanding is that when NetBSD's mailing-list software forwards my
}   | posts to other subscribers, it keeps my email as sender address
}
} As it should.
}
} Subscribers can (on most lists) sign up for the digested versions if
} this doesn't work for them.
}
}   | instead of replacing it with netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost.
}
} I am on a list or two that has gone that route.  It is a disaster.
}
}   | And because mail.netbsd.org is not listed in my SPF record (of course),
}
} There is no "of course" about it, you can add mail.netbsd.org there if
} you like.   Better would be to delete it.
}
}   | those forwarded emails are considered as spam.
}
} SPF is nonsense as spam prevention.   It is one (of several) absurd
} technologies that happened to work for a few weeks when they were
} first introduced, and now accomplish absolutely nothing.   The spammers
} are (mostly) making money by sending that stuff (one way or another),
} they're not going to let trivial things like that allow their mail to
} be trivially detected as spam.   They just work around it.

     My understanding is that SPF wasn't even intended to as an
anti-spam measure, but simply as an anti-spoofing measure.  However,
people starting using it that way, and the spammers were the first
ones to implement it.  This ironically meant that spam got through
and legitimate mail didn't.

     Unfortunately, the major free mail providers like outlook and
gmail require it if you're sending any kind of volume (ISP, business,
mailing list operator, etc.).  For this reason, I have setup SPF
on various systems, but I don't bother checking it on incoming
mail, as it is required, but useless.

}-- End of excerpt from Robert Elz