Hexchat fails connection

I have tried on two separate installs of NetBSD 9.0_STABLE to install Hexchat and they both failed with the same error:
* Connection failed (unable to get local issuer certificate.? (20))
I tried irssi too and got a similar message.
Hexchat works for me with FreeBSD, Ubuntu, & even Windows 10. Mostly all I do is hang out on the #coreboot & #flashrom channels on freenode. Not having a chat client is not a  big deal, but any help appreciated.

Boot_Dawg on freenode