Re: Installation troubles on UEFI/GPT laptop (possible bug?)

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 22:48, James Browning <jamesbrowning137%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to install NetBSD 9.0 on my UEFI enabled laptop's GPT disk. This disk also contains
> windows and linux paritions, so I do not want to clear the partition table. I attempted installation
> using a usb drive with the install image 'NetBSD-9.0-amd64-uefi-install.img'. The laptop model is
> Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-57D4.

I have been running NetBSD --current on an HP Envy-17 laptop with
EFI/GPT configuration ever since NetBSD gained that capability. The
laptop boots Windows 10 from the first - M.2 SATA - ssd, which I left
untouched.   I added a second disk - a 750GB rust - which I converted
to GPT (under Windows 10, as far as I remember), then I installed Suse
Tumbleweed, left some spare space for Windows, then installed Red Hat
7, after which I had some 100MB left over.  The installer didn't work
well with GPT at the time, I followed a sample sequence, which at the
time was published in a blog. What I am sure is that I didn't create
the gpt slices under Linux at all, I split the remaining 100GB into
the requisite EFI, data and swap partitions and installed the system
manually. Now of course the installer is much better at dealing with
it. BTW that 750GB disk has all three separate EFI partitions on it,
all system installers making their own. Later I set up rEFInd to
choose which system to boot; this worked well until HP took away the
option to select a specific .efi file as a default boot; now I
interrupt the process and manually select the .efi file I need for the
OS I am booting.

What I am suggesting is perhaps to destroy the last slice you have
already created and rerun the installer, pointing to the disk. The
manual installation is actually very easy - here is one recipe:
https://archive.unitedbsd.com/t/netbsd-desktop-part-1-manual-netbsd-installation-on-gpt-uefi/284

(Obviously do not follow literally - do not 'gpt destroy' - but the
rest is usable, perhaps sans the splitting of /usr, /var and /home).

--
----