Re: Drive ID changed

On 2020-09-27 18:23, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

On 2020-09-27 16:37, Todd Gruhn wrote:
I recabled the SSD and mechanical hard drives.

When I start NetBSD from the boot menu, NetBSD gets to the end and gives this
message:

Starting root file system check:
fsck: no match for 'wd0a': No such process
Automatic file system check failed, help!

Its just cabling. Is there a difference between SCSI and SATA that I
dont know about?

Isn't this why duids exist? I'm not sure about NetBSD, but in OpenBSD land, /etc/fstab should reference drives based on their duid rather than raw device number to avoid scenarios exactly like this.

I found this snippet in some NetBSD documentation:

"You will the be asked if you want to use DUID notation in
/etc/fstab, instead of traditional device names. You are strongly
advised to use DUIDs, as they allow you to move your disks to
different controllers, or change their bus identifiers, without
having to modify /etc/fstab every time your configuration changes."

You should be able to determine your drives DUID using the disklabel command.