Re: What administrative user interfaces for Xen are available for NetBSD?

since I set up my lab environment on NetBSD/Xen I am very satisfied with the handling of Xen. I use a mixture of sparse image files and LVM volumes as storage. The guests are mostly NetBSD (PVM) and some Windows 7 VMs. Apart from snapshots (which I would probably get if I switched to ZFS volumes) I don't really miss anything and am also satisfied with the performance.

LVM also has some thin-provisioning and snapshot feature, although I am not sure NetBSD has it. Also I heard we can now use sparse files, which was not the case before.

But what I am asking myself right now... is there a higher administration interface besides the command line tools (xl)? Libvirt is supposed to support Xen (I don't know about nvmm?), but there should be some kind of user interface on top of it. If someone has experience with this or knows a halfway recommendable configuration on a NetBSD Dom0, I would be grateful for a little tip. In the pkgsrc I did not find anything obvious in this regard.

You don't really need any user interface while taking advantage of guests in PV and PVH modes, as you can reach their console right there from the terminal, and for some, it's the beauty of it. It's only nice to have a GUI to deal with the VNC or Spice consoles of HVM or PVHVM guests, but even then, one could setup the guests to spit on the serial console.

What you're probably looking for are virt-manager, virt-viewer which depend on libvirt indeed. There's also the virt-install command line script. But it can be considered a benefit not to depend on libvirt altogether. The XEN Light toolkit tools are good enough for handling XEN virtualization, while it's really hard with KVM without libvirt. Anyhow this won't really compete with VirtualBox nor desktop-oriented virtualization engines. It's just another kind of product and use-case. XEN and KVM are rather targeting virtualization farms and there, some cloud engine to distribute the load automatically matters more than an admin UI. There is some hype on XCP-NG but this goes with XenServer, which is now Open Source, but it's different from the community XEN we have. To (automatically) manage a farm community XEN dom0, be it Linux or NetBSD powered, I would personally consider Ganeti. I tried OpenStack once and it was a total nightmare.

Pierre-Philipp