Re: Sysinst creates gaps between GPT partitions - why?

On 03/08/2020 11:22, Greg Troxel wrote:
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 11:08:22AM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
            2          32         Pri GPT table
           34        2014         Unused

That part is expected...

Not to me, entirely.

I get it why 0, 1 and 2-33 are GPT.

I get it why we don't align to 63 (because there is no good reason,
and because it doesn't line up with 4K physical sectors).

The forced choice these days is 8, because of 4K sectors.  I can see why
picking 8 for alignment isn't future-proof against the disk announced
next week with 8K or 32K physical sectors (yes, I'm making that up, but
I would not be shocked to see that over the next 10 years)..

SSD's also add another complexity. The underlying flash media may have a sector size way larger than 4kB. Based on the NAND flash devices I've used in embedded projects sector sizes of 64kB or larger could be what the SSD is actually using. So this larger alignment might be helpful in this scenario as well.

Mike