Re: pkgsrc build server

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 02:15:13PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I would say: don't ever use make update.
> Why does something exist that isn't to be used `ever'?

You seeme to have conflated "I would say" and "everyone woudl say".

>> Use pkg_rolling-replace if you need to.

> Isn't replace a risky target in event of changes that require recursively
> building what depends on the package replaced? I guess it still carries a
> warning.

I think the notion that replace is risky and update is not is confused.

It is perhaps true that *if* update finishes succcessfully your system
will be consistent.   But I have seen update fail to complete.  With
make replace/pkg_rr, you get to fix and keep trying.

The 'safe' thing is to run pbulk  and build everything you need, and
only when you are sure you have it all, do a pkgin fug.