Re: does anyone have a working mozilla firefox-74.0 on 9.0 amd64?

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:22 PM Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 02:41:41PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > +1. Not to mention how insecure it is. I don't mind GMail for low
> > value stuff like personal emails. But corporations have no business
> > putting your data, like ssn, employment records and health records, in
> > these clouds. They are just storage provided by a third party. More
> > hands fingering the data...
> > https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman
>
> I think Richard Stallman's article over-generalizes the term `cloud' and
> writes it off.
>
> It's also a 12 year old article and hope he refined his views.
>
> While there is a need to be educated and aware of the risks, make a
> conscious judgment about risks and value derived, there is no need to
> generally write off the cloud totally.
>
> Cloud is not just gmail (and alike). Cloud has different models like SaaS
> and IaaS and so on. Yes, each has risks, and the ways to assess and
> mitigate them are different. And the assessment is not fully objective. It
> involves measures like credibility, security track record of a provider
> etc.
>
> But it doesn't mean we generalize and sit in a denial disconnecting from
> the ecosystem. There has to be a sensible middle ground.

Well, at the end of the day, the data is leaving the organization's
security boundary and entering another's security boundary. They are
probably using TLS as the communications channel between data centers.
TLS has so many holes you can drive a tractor trailer through them.

I would not care if it was only the organization's data, like EFT
makeup and performance. The problem I have is it's sometimes my data
that is being sloppily shared with others.

I understand in Europe many companies avoid providers like Amazon when
handling personal information. It is nearly impossible to comply with
European privacy laws because of the promiscuous sharing that happens
with US companies. Not to mention the known shenanigans of US
intelligence agencies.

I can't speak for others, but I am not interested in middle ground. If
my data is leaving the security boundary then I don't want to do
business with the company. I was part of a data breach in the 1990s
and it cost me over $5,000 to fix it. The lawyer I spoke to told me to
pay it because it would be cheaper than hiring him to fix it. Since
the 1990's I've been part of at least 4 other breaches. I have bill
collectors calling me for delinquent credit cards that I've never had
amd someone else apparently obtained.

Jeff