Use network printer from NetBSD

Hello!
I would like to be able to print on NetBSD, but I don't want (and don't
need) to create a printer server. In fact, the printer is not directly
connected to my NetBSD host: it is a stand-alone network printer, with
its own LAN IP address.
I know the printer hostname and its IP address. How to send from NetBSD
a print job?

The system default /etc/printcap file is all commented, and it includes
some examples. Looking them, I tried to create my own entry:

remote|My network printer:\
       :sh:lp=9100@<printer_IP_address>:rm=<printer_hostname>:rp=:\
       :sd=/var/spool/output/remote:\
       :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:if=/usr/libexec/lpr/pjlfilter:

I tried with and without pjlfilter, and also with and without
/usr/libexec/lpr/lpf. It makes no difference. I also tried port 515
instead of 9100: they are surely open. Printer also supports `LDP (PC
Fax Send)', `Raw Port', `IPP', `Mopria', `AirPrint'.
For my attempts, after starting the lpd daemon, I simply use:

$ lpr -P remote a_test_file

The curious fact is that, in any of these attempts:
- when a_test_file is a plain-text file, the printer display just lights
up, but nothing else happens;
- when a_test_file is a non-blank PDF, the printer seems to print, but
the output is an endless series of white papers. I have to stop the job
from the printer stop button.

Am I doing something wrong? What is the correct way to configure
/etc/printcap in this case?
Bye,

Rocky