Re: Providing temporary storage space to a VM: qcow, nfs etc

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 10:21, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:10:47AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > A quick if not necessarily elegant option would be to have multiple
> > qcow2 files - one for the system and one for space to build. You can
> > release the build space by stopping the vm, just recreating the second
> > qcow2 file and restarting the VM
>
> Yes, such thought occurred to me. I wish pkgsrc had a feature where `work'
> could reside on a separate path (which I'll keep on a separate FS). This
> way I can keep deleting the work FS, but don't have to check out pkgsrc
> too many times.
>
> Or is there such feature already... (Will search through the guide.)

I have:

DISTDIR= /home/oc/pkgsrc/distfiles
WRKOBJDIR= /home/oc/pkgsrc/work
PACKAGES= /home/oc/pkgsrc/packages

Nothing stops you from allocating a specific block device to each of the above.

You'd have to play with machine types and virtio devices to have more
than 4 drives. Qemu "-drive" invocation defaults to ide drives.

--
Ottavio Caruso