Re: "hg clone https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src/" still aborts, but...

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 6:22 PM Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:

> At Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:41:58 -0700, bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: "hg clone https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src/"; still aborts, but...
> >
> > Nb: you’ll want to have an .hg/hgrc w a line:
> > default = https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src
> >
> > ...so that in the future you can just “hg pull” from w/i that repo.
>
> Thanks for the tip -- I figured something would have to be set like that.
>
> Looks like it's not quite right though:
>
>         $ cat .hg/hgrc
>         default = https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src
>
>         $ hg incoming
>         abort: repository default not found!
>
> The manual section for "hg clone" does say:
>
>        The location of the source is added to the new repository's .hg/hgrc
>        file, as the default to be used for future pulls.
>
> However hgrc(5) suggests the syntax might have to be a bit different,
> more like a .git/config.
>
> Ah ha!  It looks like this has to be in the "[paths]" section, and MUST
> NOT be proceeded by a tab or other whitespace (which .git/config allows):
>
>         $ cat .hg/hgrc
>         [paths]
>         default = https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src
>
>         $ hg incoming | head
>         comparing with https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src
>         searching for changes
>         changeset:   931876:26c8f37631b6
>         branch:      trunk
>         user:        maxv <maxv%NetBSD.org@localhost>
>         date:        Sat May 02 11:12:49 2020 +0000
>         summary:     Remove unused.
>
>         changeset:   931877:42596ac89b6e
>         branch:      trunk
>
> --
>                                         Greg A. Woods <gwoods%acm.org@localhost>
>
> Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>
> Planix, Inc. <woods%planix.com@localhost>     Avoncote Farms <woods%avoncote.ca@localhost>

I have just updated the bundle manifest to use anonhg instead of cdn
and *I* get the same issue.

I am interested in other peoples' experiences but am glad that I've
eliminated fastly from the equation.

I've also tried making some changes to the apache config, trying a
gzip bundle, and a few other variants.

In the end I land on:

files [============>
                                     ]  59368/440465 3h47mdestination
directory: src
applying clone bundle from https://anonhg.NetBSD.org/_bundles/src/matt-gzip.hg
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
transaction abort!
rollback completed
(sent 2 HTTP requests and 434 bytes; received 806 bytes in responses)
abort: stream ended unexpectedly  (got 12392 bytes, expected 32768)

Why would there be any network activity in the "files" stage at all?
This entire bundles extension appears poorly architected or,
ironically, poor for less performant systems.

I think the curl + extract + pull is probably the only way forward.