Re: Re: requesting support for persistent memory

mayuresh%kathe.in@localhost (=?utf-8?q?mayuresh=40kathe=2Ein?=) writes:

>i don't know anything about "the machine" project by 'hp' nor do i have any idea about why it might've gone quiet, other than that it must've gone the "ia64" route of technological innovations from 'hp' labs, but intel's optane (the most popular implementation of "persistent memory") is selling like hot-cakes in the market right now. in fact, my new lenovo laptop (which is a low-end core-i3 machine) has optane memory chips soldered right onto the motherboard.

So far, Optane memory is used only as disk cache, similar to flash
memory or battery-backed RAM found in older RAID controllers. That's
interesting, in particular when it gets cheaper, but has little to
do with "persistent memory". It's also a proprietary technology
that Intel only supports for Windows 10.

Optane memory could be used as persistent RAM, because unlike flash
memory, it allows access to individual cells (usually a cache line
of 64byte is accessed).  But while it may be 1000 times faster than
Flash, it is also 1000 times slower than DRAM. Which is probably
the reason why Optane memory isn't used as such.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost