Re: Update /usr/pkgsrc

nottobay <nottobay13%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I was trying to build wine earlier and it seems my /usr/pkgsrc is from a
> prior install of NetBSD 8 and I'm on 9. Is there anyway to fix that without
> reinstalling?

There are two posssible questions there:

  /usr/pkgsrc is the source for pkgsrc.  You can unpack a tarball and/or
  update with CVS, as Jay wrote about.    pkgsrc itself works on
  multiple versions (as long as they are recent enough), and one udpates
  it to newer quarterly branches, typically.

  The packages themselves are in /usr/pkg.

You can run packages for 8 on a 9 system, but then they all need to be
from 8, or you will have problems due to different shared libraries.

So you should change your packages from 8 to 9.  If you are building
everything from source, one way is pkg_rolling-replace, but that is
unlikely to be a happy path for people new to pkgsrc.

You should be able to use pkgin, but I'm not sure it has the concept
that any package built for a different OS version should be updated.

Can you explain:

  what is in /usr/pkgsrc, and where did it comes from?

  where did the binary packages you have in /usr/pkg come from

  are you trying to run pkgsrc current, or 2020Q1, or something else?