Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

At Sun, 7 Jun 2020 08:45:51 +0100, Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

> I'm curious, what sort of essential information do these emails
> provide on a daily basis? Is it simply that some cron job completed
> successfully?

It's the unsuccessful ones that are most interesting.  If I get mail
from cron it's because something is broken or otherwise need attention.

> Personally, I would like to see graphs and charts of
> cpu/memory/disk/network usage. I would like to archive various security
> and cron logs in a different location, so that hackers cannot easily
> delete them. If I'm running email/web/database services, I would like
> to archive all logs, statistics and performance metrics, on a frequent
> (maybe hourly?) basis. If the database has performance issues at
> specific times, I would like to be able to go back in history and
> analyse all logs and metrics. Some of those metrics could be stored in
> binary files and may need specific tools to extract visual graphs, etc.

Actually an excellent way to collect system information and reports, one
many of us have used for years, is to email them to a central repository
where they can be processed.  This is probably more work for just one
system, but as soon as you have more than one system, it becomes more
and more appealing.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>