Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 19:37:39 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> I have a number of machines, and almost all of them send either daily
>> mail or messages on boot, typically to me someplace else.  This
>> basically requires an MTA
>
> I'm curious, what sort of essential information do these emails
> provide on a daily basis? Is it simply that some cron job completed
> successfully?

There is the cron job output.

But there are also a number of notifications, such as a computer booting
(which is usually a clue of power issues), as well as via sensors
(temperature low, etc.).   These are important enough that I sort them
into my inbox so I see them right away.

Certainly wanting to graph things makes sense too.  I was just trying to
say that on just about every computer I run that I actually expect it to
do things (vs. just building packages on some version/cpu combo) that I
do send mail from it.  Not much, and not often but it is important to
me.