Re: NetBSD Jails

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 08:13:06AM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:

> That's exactly what I was referring to. Yes this is specific to SPARC
> where they have a very small firmware hypervisor. The advantage is how
> hardware resources are dedicated to a specific domain, so the OS can
> use them directly with very little overhead.

Well, not quite, you get dedicated cpu/ram but access to pci devices do
have some limitations which depend on the hardware you are running on.
If there are multiple pci nexus (there is one nexus per socket) then you
can assign the extra nexus to a LDOM, this will give that LDOM direct
access to the PCI bus controlled by that PCI nexus.  The alternative is
to use SR-IOV to virtualise access to a PCI device, unfortunately, at
least in Solaris, there are very few PCI devices that support SR-IOV
and also this virtualisation relies on the control domain (this is a
special LDOM that has control over the hypervisor configuration amongst
other things) being up.

--
Brett Lymn
--