Re: NVMM not working, NetBSD 9x amd64

On Sun 26 Apr 2020 at 21:39:12 +0200, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Maybe I should add a note in the man page to say that you cannot expect a CPU
> from before ~2010 to have virtualization support.

Or even better, what one should look for in the output of, for example,
"cpuctl identify 0". Since I didn't exactly know, I made some guesses
and assumed that my cpu ("Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz")
did't have the required features (it is from 2009 or so).  But this
thread inspired me to modload nvmm, which actually helped, so I found
out that it even works on this cpu.

Of course I immediately tried it with Haiku (the BeOS clone) from
https://download.haiku-os.org/nightly-images/x86_64/ and I got mixed
results. Once it manages to boot it works fine and nicely fast (much
better than without nvmm), but quite often it crashes into its kernel
debugger during the first 10 seconds of booting, with different messages
(I have seen "General Protection Exception" and "ASSERT failed ...
fCPUCount >= 0").  ("qemu-system-x86_64 -accel nvmm -m 2G -cdrom
haiku-master-hrev54106-x86_64-anyboot.iso" on a 9.0 GENERIC kernel)

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on