sysctl.conf not read at boot time

Hello,

feeling a little dumb, but somehow I do not manage to get sysctl.conf to be processsed during boot.

So f.e. I've added:

net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1

to /etc/sysctl.conf

But this does not get respected. However, manually I can run:

/etc/rc.d/sysctl start
/sbin/sysctl -f /etc/sysctl.conf
sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1

All work perfectly fine. Just boot does not seem to process this.

And since there is no sysctl in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and I can use "start" instead of "onestart" I suspect it should be run anytime. But it does not seem to.

What am I missing?