Re: Finding parameters of existing ext2fs partition

Question is how to determine what this format is for an already existing ext2fs filesystem, either from base system or from e2fstools package.

One solution would be to reboot with a GNU/Linux live/rescue system and check from there with `tune2fs -l`.

The other way around, I do deploy NetBSD systems with an ext2fs root from GNU/Linux and I need to disable a few EXT2 features that are not recognized by NetBSD.

By default, when creating EXT2 from Lignux, one would get

	Filesystem features:      ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file

I disable those two features

	mkfs.ext2 -O^dir_index,^ext_attr

so in the end I get

	Filesystem features:      resize_inode filetype sparse_super large_file

Problem is when I write to an ext2fs filesystem from NetBSD, I may get errors, especially with a big, complicated write that would occur with "git pull".

I got no errors and use it even in production - it is just very slow - luckly it's mostly an idling dedicated box.

The only issue I have is with GIT also.  I cannot review e.g. `git status` nor anything, although nothing crashes here.  Apparently GIT is using some file-system features that we don't have.  Otherwise I am good, everything works.

My hypotheses is that the filesystem was formatted from FreeBSD with their default -r 1, comparable to -O 1 in NetBSD.

If you're playing with FreeBSD, why don't you just use FFS?  Theirs and ours is pretty much compatible.

I want to create a Linux ext2fs that can be safely written to from NetBSD.

As shown above, I prepare the fs from GNU/Linux.  I've documented it here:

http://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar
http://pub.nethence.com/bsd/ext2fs
https://pub.nethence.com/bin/bsd/netbsd.install.bash.txt

as for FreeBSD with UFS2 is here: