Re: System slowness and graphics-card

Hello,

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 13:33:21 +0000
maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 10:11:24AM -0400, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> > The system I am using was assembled and purchase back in Aug 2019.
> >
> > Some things I noticed:
> >   1) The graphics card (nVidia GEFORCE GTX 1660)  needs to be booted using
> >       boot -c ; disable nouveau; quit
> >    2) When I compile a package -- and X Windows is NOT RUNNING -- this thing
> >        flies
> >    3) When I start X (using MWM) -- builds are extremely slow;
> >        When I do "su root" checking the root passwd takes about 3 minutes
> >
> > Is there a connection between X, my graphics card, and system slowness?
> > Is there a way to fix this; or is it a matter of having support for my chip-set?
> >
> > I find this interesting to know.
>
> I had the same issue before getting nouveau to work. Had a theory I
> never tested that it might be the xf86-video-nv driver causing these
> issues. I imagine the best experience you could have is by forcing genfb
> somehow and using the x wsfb driver. one way to do it is by selecting
> one of the vesa modes in the bootloader, another (I think) is the uefi
> bootloader.

Hmm, some questions:
- check top(1) - is X eating up all the CPU cycles?
- which driver is Xorg actually using?

If it's actually nv, I have seen issues like that with NV40 hardware -
some rectangle fills never complete, the driver waits, times out,
resets the blitter, moves on. The visible symptom is X eating up
ridiculous amounts of CPU time.

have fun
Michael