Re: graphical desktop in virtualbox

As others have said, xrandr works fine and you can set any desired
geometry. It won't resize automatically, though; for this you need the
guest extensions and cooperating window manager.

While the guest extensions are not available to install from Oracle or
 from pkgsrc, it is actually very easy to build them yourself -
download and extract the VirttualBox source code, install kbuild (and
nasm, as far as I remember), make sure you have got the system sources
in /usr/src and /usr/xsrc, a small local kmk file is also needed (to
restrict building the additions only). Xfce4 works fine with this,
screen size changes, 3D accelleration also works. As far as I am
concerned, my VirtualBox installations are almost as good as bare
metal ones... I track -current daily, using a real laptop, but then I
upgrade, among the others, a few VirtualBox (and other) clients, for
the VirtualBox clients I always rebuild the additions pn every
upgrade.

--
----