Re: Starting X on NetBSD 9.0

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 09:27:39PM +0000, Clay Daniels wrote:
> I like the new NetBSD 9.0. It works great at the command line level, and
> this is where I am writing this email using alpine. But I have yet to get
> the X server to work. I've been trying to use the twm window manager which I
> installed with pkgsrc, and have made multiple attempts at creating an
> .xinitrc file that works. So I could use some help.

Why do you use twm from pkgsrc? There is native X11 on NetBSD and twm(1)
is there.

Have you simply installed the X sets and tried from that?

Then start with the smallest ~/.xinitrc (it's important to set the
LC_CTYPE for twm(1) because there is some utf-8 nightmare if you do
not):

xterm -bg black -fg white -geometry +1+1 -ls&
LC_CTYPE=en_US twm

HTH,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/