Cannot interact with boot menu through (virtual) serial console.

Hi,

Minor annoyance. I'm booting:

$ uname -a
NetBSD NetBSD 9.0 NetBSD 9.0 (GENERIC) #0: Fri Feb 14 00:06:28 UTC
2020  mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
amd64

as a guest using qemu:

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-drive if=virtio,file=/home/oc/VM/img/openbsd.image,index=0,media=disk \
-M q35,accel=kvm -m 350M -cpu host -smp $(nproc) \
-nic user,hostfwd=tcp::6666-:22,model=virtio-net-pci -nographic

This is an upgrade from 8.1 after a fresh reinstall.

I have installed the bootblocks on com0 and I have this in /boot.cfg:

menu=Boot serial:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;consdev com0;boot netbsd
menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -s
menu=Disable ACPI:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -2
menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -12
menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
default=1
timeout=5
clear=1

I can see all the boot messages and I can log in through the serial
console, but I can't select any options at the boot menu. No key seems
to be recognised. The timer counts down from 5 to 0 and then boots the
default option. If one day I wanted to boot into single mode, I
wouldn't be able to do it without editing boot.cfg.

As a term of comparison, I have the same setting for 2 VMs running
FreeBSD and OpenBSD and I cannot replicate the same issue with either
OSes.

Any input will be appreciated.

Full dmesg:
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5409