Re: postinstall fixes failed: gid

Ottavio wrote:

> [...]
> gid fix:
> Error groups (FIX MANUALLY): nvmm (missing)
> Use the following as a template:
> nvmm:*:34:root
> and adjust if necessary
> [...]
> postinstall fixes failed: gid
>
> My questions are;
> 1) Why has this happened? Is this a bug?

It has happened because NetBSD tends to the safe side and doesn't
add the group itself.  You may have number "34" already used for
some other group, and you need to resolve things in that case.
It may also make sense to add users to the group, see below.

> 2) Why do I need a nvmm group?

This really dpends on the NVMM software kit.  I don't have seen
that myself and can't help you there (my only post-8 netbsd is a
-current on a lwoly i386, no nvmm there).  The nvmm-related man-pages
should tell you the purpose of the group.  I would expect virtual
disks and machine descriptions will belong to that group and so
anybody in the group would be allowed to manipulate/add/use/remove
VMs.  This is just a guess -- RTFM and check how the group is
actually used in the filesystem for files and directories.

> 3) I've manually added:
> nvmm:*:34:root
> to the group file and now I have no errors. Is this enough?

Yes, well done.  (Unless you already had another group 34 already.)

> Do I have to rebuild any databases?

No.  /etc/group is just that plain file and you are done.

(In contrast, the user file /etc/passwd is just a clone of
/etc/master.passwd and changes to both are done using vipw(8).)

						Martin Neitzel