Re: Avoid wedges from certain devices

martin%duskware.de@localhost (Martin Husemann) writes:

>On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 09:07:24PM +0300, Dima Veselov wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> it may be very dumb to ask, but I have installed 9.0 on UEFI server with
>> soft-RAID and now I have ld0, wd0 and wd1 having same wedges. When
>> booting NetBSD find wedges on wd0, then complain about same wedges
>> on wd1 and ld0. It won't boot, I think this happens because first wedges
>> are found on wd0 which is blocked at the moment of finding root.

>Usually the colliding wedges just show up with their guid as name.
>Do you have wedges where even the guid collides?

From the description it looks like he is using ataraid (ld0) and
also sees the components (wd0 and wd1).

Unlike raidframe, there is no encapsulation and a GPT is detected
on the components and on the raid volume, and it's all the same
GPT with the same partition names and GUIDs.

This is difficult to fix. The controller will first attach the wd
components (that regulary scan for GPT and attach wedges), then,
if in RAID mode, will try to attach the drives to a RAID set.

You could make the wd driver skip the wedge scan when the controller
is in RAID mode. If the RAID attachment then fails, you would
end with no wedges scanned at all. In this case you need to
trigger the scan on the components. Not sure how to do this safely.

A workaround is of course to migrated to raidframe.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost