Re: green lines hell

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:33:05AM +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
> In NetBSD, kernel messages go to a VT called "console", which is the
> first VT by default. Once you finish the installation, you can edit
> /etc/ttys, set console to "off" and ttyE0 to "on". This turns the
> first VT into a regular VT, and kernel messages go nowhere by default.
> Or you could connect the console to a serial port. Or if you run X,
> Xconsole is typically able to show kernel messages in a window.

This is a problem in the installer images.

We probably should modify the scripts to run sysinst on ttyE1 if we detect
we are on the ttyE0 (and switch over to that, and back when sysinst exits).

Alternatively sysinst could suppress those messages during certain operations
(or while in a menu) - but that turned out to not be easy either when I last
looked at it (you need a real tty to redirect the kernel console to, /dev/null
won't do).

But for the original problem: many USB mice nowadays do that, assuming
something went wrong and trying to reestablish the working mouse
pointer. We could just open the mouse device in the installer script
(like: cat -f /dev/wsmouse > /dev/null) or run wsmoused if the binary
is available.

Martin