Re: green lines hell

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 9:36 PM Andrei M. <lingvofactory%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> In all recent major versions of NetBSD/amd64, incl. NetBSD 9.0 error
> notifications from the kernel are forwarded in green colour to the
> first vt. In my case it mostly concerns notifications about hardware
> probing going on or when a connection change happens to the net card
> (I use an ASUS K70ID laptop). It happens every few minutes, looks
> terrible from the aesthetic point of view, when you're typing
> something and then this breaks your line, even within vi, and can even
> be some sort of security threat when it messes up the password prompt.

When I last installed OpenBSD, it did the same, except in white on
blue. Worse, it would print it onto whichever console you were on (I
think).

In NetBSD, kernel messages go to a VT called "console", which is the
first VT by default. Once you finish the installation, you can edit
/etc/ttys, set console to "off" and ttyE0 to "on". This turns the
first VT into a regular VT, and kernel messages go nowhere by default.
Or you could connect the console to a serial port. Or if you run X,
Xconsole is typically able to show kernel messages in a window.