Re: Unable to boot to install 8.1 and 9.0 RC2 on amd64 Laptop

I've had a similar, but different experience booting -current on an HP
Pavilion dv2000 laptop.  I think I posted about it quite some time ago.
I try again every so often but the situation has not improved.

A normal boot of GENERIC hangs just after acpi detection.

Booting w/o ACPI gets up to detecting the NVIDIA graphics card which isn't
supported.  It used to just panic later when attaching the console, but
now at least skips it as unsupported and stays in VGA text mode.

Following that, it gets as far as detecting the hard disk but then hangs
while detecting the optical drive.  Random fumbling on the keyboard, or
a quick press of the power switch usually helps it over this bump.

Booting w/o ACPI and w/o SMP lets it boot all the way to multiuser with
no user intervention.

At some point during the 9.0 release cycle, the default "/boot.cfg"
file had the menu options to boot w/o ACPI and w/o ACPI, SMP removed.
You can still do so by using the option to drop to the boot prompt
and giving:

  boot: boot /netbsd -12

(-1 disables SMP and -2 disables ACPI)

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD