Re: NetBSD and User Private Groups (Unique Groups)

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:50:00AM +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > But sharing is usefull
>
> Is it? There are other ways to share and one can still make their
> files/directories world-readable if they want.

But that is worse than group-readable by "users" - they will then also
be readable by all non chroot'ed daemons running on the system, or other
types of users (which have their own separate group).

> > and your suggested change makes it hard.
>
> Yes and that's deliberate. In 2020, the average user is not as technically
> minded as 20 or 30 years ago and I'm the kind of person who likes to assume
> the worst.

So why not just use a proper default profile setting umask?
Same (zero) effort for new users, same overall effect?

Martin