Re: NetBSD and User Private Groups (Unique Groups)

On 29/01/2020 11:41, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:29:54AM +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
On a multi user system, all files are created readable by the group (umask
022). If we are all in the same group, anybody can read my newly created
files (imagine a local password file for alpine or ssl certs for irc, etc).
It's then left to the user to change umask and/or adjust permissions. Why
not just make it easier for the user?

But sharing is usefull

Is it? There are other ways to share and one can still make their files/directories world-readable if they want.

and your suggested change makes it hard.

Yes and that's deliberate. In 2020, the average user is not as technically minded as 20 or 30 years ago and I'm the kind of person who likes to assume the worst.

--
Ottavio Caruso