Re: No HDMI output on Lenovo V145, NetBSD 8.0

    Date:        Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:43:10 +0530
    From:        Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>

  | I'll give this option a try. Hope my -8 packages would also work after
  | replacing just the kernel.

They should, but while that might improve things (the kernel graphics
drivers in -9 (and HEAD) are much advanced over -8) it might not give
you all you want - to get all of the benefits you will probably also
need updated Mesa, and that's userland, and is probably (I have never
tried) not easy to undate without other X related updates as well.

Still, an updated kernel is certainly worth trying, it is an easy
change, and easy to undo.

While here: my previous laptop had hardware not well suported (at the
time anyway) by NetBSD so I used it as a virtualbox guest on a linux host.
For normal NetBSD that worked fine, and the graphics (horrid nvidia)
worked OK for general use (xterms, browsers, etc, even most games) - but
I think (from what I saw in one of your messages) that one of your uses
is movie watching.

That you'd need to do using the linux host - for that to work well (which
means keep sync with audio) needs driver assistance, and the virtual video
drivers (at least at the time, perhaps things have improved) didn't support
that, graphics is likely to not work any better than you get now using the
vesa driver (as that's more or less what a virtualbox guest sees).

I don't know what bhyve or qemu/nvme offer in this area, but I doubt that
it is going to be a lot better.

kre