Re: Lightweight GUI code editor

Hello,

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 17:51:29 +0200
Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost> wrote:

> Hi all :)!
> I am using NetBSD 8.1 with Openbox as Window Manager. While I usually
> try to avoid GUI applications, because they include some bloat, I am
> looking for a lightweight code editor: it should highlight the language
> keywords (now I'm using Python, but the editor should support some other
> common languages) and the corresponding parentheses, nothing more.
> For example, the Atom editor would be perfect, but it is only available
> on Linux.
> Using nvi(1) for the same purpose is not as comfortable as I was
> expecting.
> Looking in
>
>  https://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/editors/README.html
>
> I found many editors which I would try, but they are not available in my
> 8.1 (2019Q3) repository, like `beaver', `codelite', `codeblocks',
> `scite'.
> Do you have any suggestion?

I'm using joe for text mode and bluefish in X. Bluefish is supposedly
made for web development but it supports all sorts of languages with a
filesystem tree in a side panel, which is extremely useful when working
on kernel code.
Both do syntax highlighting and all sorts of other stuff.

have fun
Michael