Re: sync netbsd drive with Windows 10

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, David Brownlee wrote:
>
>> I've had good experiences running syncthing to sync data between a
>> set of NetBSD boxes (some directories being master on one machine
>> only and pushing out, others allowing changes from multiple
>> ends). Its cross platform. It might be overkill for just two boxes,
>
> What's "overkill" is me taking the time and trouble to put together in
> one place all this files! <g>
>
> I will consider my inquiry asked-and-answered, and give syncthing a
> test spin around the block.

Another thing to look at is unison.  It runs when you ask it to, shows
you what it wants to sync, and then you say ok.  unison is in ocaml, but
we have a very good history of that working, even on old platforms
(c.f. haskell and rust!),  I have no idea how that works on windows.

I don't mean to criticize or contradict syncthing at all.  I use that
too, and it has worked very well.

Just keep in mind that if you do multilateral sync among N machines and
any one of them is flaky about their fileysstem that may propagate.  So
do not view an N-way syncthing replica as a backup, even though it
functions as a backup against total loss of a disk.