Zfs on NetBSD

All,
I am trying to setup (i.e. learn about) zfs. I see /sbin/zfs; however, when I issue a zfs command I get the following error. I can’t find much info on setting up ZFS on NetBSD. Any links or pointers would be helpful.

$ zfs status
internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library

Even though I am running current, I thought the users mailing list might be best.

$ uname -a
NetBSD clement.ronverbs.dev 8.99.51 NetBSD 8.99.51 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Jul 21 21:07:12 UTC 2019  mkrepro%mkrepro.NetBSD.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64

Ron Georgia
“90% of my problems are due to ignorance, the other 10% is because I just don’t know any better.”